The Power Quotient: Empowering Women to Show Their Worth and Rise into Leadership Positions
November 7, 2023
Still today, if you fill a room with 10 software developers, there’s a good chance that 9 of them will be men. In the technology industry–and in a handful of particular roles inside and outside of tech–women are vastly under-represented. Women of color even moreso. But by now, it’s also common knowledge that a more diverse workforce is more capable of innovation and creative problem-solving. So, how do we ensure that women not only move into lucrative, historically male-dominated roles, but also end up in leadership positions?
Shelmina Babai Abji broke many barriers when she rose through the ranks at IBM, ultimately achieving the title of Director of Sales and overseeing $1 Billion in annual revenue. Along the way, there were many instances where she was the only woman in the room. Her humble beginnings motivated her not only to achieve highly but to pass on her lessons to other women hoping to find the same success. In this week’s episode, she describes how women can advance their careers and become leaders through intentionality and by delivering unique value.
Join us as we discuss:
- How being your authentic self at work is the easiest path to creating unique value
- The importance of imagination and emotion in setting your professional goals
- The definition of the “Power Quotient” and how to utilize it to have your ideas recognized at work
- Recommendations for building a strong professional relationship with your boss
- The importance of understanding the sources of motivation that make your people perform highly
- How change is the only constant, and how to establish a change-proof mindset
If you enjoyed this episode, make sure to subscribe, rate and review it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts. Instructions on how to do this are here
L&D In Action: Winning Strategies from Learning Leaders is handcrafted by our friends over at: fame.so
Previous guests include: Simon Brown of Novartis, Ravin Jesuthasan of Mercer, Michael Lee Stallard of Connection Culture Group, Michelle Weise of Rise and Design and Dr. Nigel Paine of Learning Now TV.
Check out our five most downloaded episodes: