Getting started as a coach can be intimidating if you aren’t sure where to begin. Melinda Cohan and Lee Chaix McDonough highlight some of the challenges you can face as a new coach and share tips on how to overcome them during your transition.
Lee Chaix McDonough is the founder of Coach With Clarity. She guides women in discovering how to combine their talents, experience, and intuition to create fulfilling coaching businesses that serve their clients without selling their souls.
In this episode we discuss:
- How to know if coaching is the right calling for you and when to trust your intuition
- Why it is crucial to learn both business management and coaching when you're just getting started
- The challenges faced by new coaches when making the transition into the field
- The type of attitude and mindset needed to make it as a coach
- Ways to transfer previous knowledge and experience into your new coaching practice
- How important it is to set realistic expectations and boundaries for yourself
“Put yourself out there, be willing to make some mistakes, find mentors and resources that can support you, that is going to be pivotal to your growth as a coach.” – Lee Chaix McDonough
Lee Chaix McDonough is the founder of Coach With Clarity, where women in helping professions discover how to combine their talents, experience, and intuition with a powerful coaching methodology, so they can create a flexible, meaningful business that serves their people and supports their families — without selling their souls.
She is also the host of the Coach with Clarity podcast and author of the #1 Amazon bestseller, ACT On Your Business: Braving the storms of entrepreneurship and creating success through meaning, mindset, and mindfulness.
After over a decade as a clinical social worker and public health professional, Lee became credentialed as a coach through the International Coach Federation (ICF) and now provides ICF-accredited initial training and continuing education for intuitive, innovative coaches.
Her Coach with Clarity framework fuses meaning, mindset, and mindfulness with grounded intuition and solid business strategy to help coaches and clients excel at entrepreneurship and transform their lives.
She holds the ICF Professional Certified Coach (PCC) credential, and the Board Certified Coach (BCC) credential from the Center for Credentialing and Education.
Lee is a proud alumna of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she received her Bachelor of Arts, Master of Social Work, and Master of Science in Public Health degrees.
Prior to founding Coach with Clarity, she worked in a variety of professional settings, including hospitals, local governments, non-profit organizations, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and as a civilian for the United States Air Force.
Lee lives in North Carolina with her husband, two sons, and her pug Phineas.
Resources or websites mentioned in this episode:
- Coaches Console
- Lee’s website
- Lee’s LinkedIn
- Lee's fun quiz - Discover Your Coaching Style
- Lee's book: ACT On Your Business: Braving the storms of entrepreneurship and creating success through meaning, mindset, and mindfulness
- Guest: Lee Chaix McDonough
- Host: Melinda Cohan
- Producer: Cynthia Lamb
- Executive producer: Danny Iny
- Scripted and assembled by: Michi Lantz
- Audio Post Supervisor: Evan Miles, Christopher Martin
- Audio Post Production: Post Office Sound
- Music soundscape: Chad Michael Snavely
- Making our hosts sound great: Home Brew Audio
If you don't want to miss future episodes of Just Between Coaches, please subscribe to Apple podcasts or Spotify or wherever you're listening right now. And if you liked the show, please leave us a starred review. It's the best way to help us get these ideas to more people.
• Music and SFX credits:
•Track Title: Clouds
Artist Name(s): Acreage
Writer Name: Marshall Usinger
•Track Title: Coastline Dream
Artist Name(s): Wild Sky
Writer Name: Adam Simons
•Track Title: Coo Coos
Artist Name(s): Dresden, The Flamingo
Writer Name: Matthew Wigton
•Track Title: Stars & Trees
Artist Name(s): Outside The Sky
Writer Name: Dustin Ransom
Episode transcript: Making the Transition (Lee Chaix McDonough) Coming soon.