Speaking Truth to Power
September 7, 2022
In just 4 words, there’s so much to unpack here. What is “the truth?” What kind of power are we referring to? Just because we see something doesn’t mean it’s the only objective understanding of the situation. Consider the blindfolded individuals who are feeling a tree, a hose, a brush, and a spear just to find that they’re all touching different parts of an elephant.
Speaking truth to power can be heard as bravery to tell the bosses what’s what and damn the repercussions. Also, it can be seen as telling the boss they’ve got a bad idea because… it’s a bad idea.
If we want to be heard and speak truth to power, it needs to be based on relationship. Without relationship, critique can be easily dismissed as whining. But how. How do we earn the relationship, how do we foster honest feedback, how do we offer insight when there’s a power differential.
It’s not easy, it’s not necessarily direct, but it is possible. Be curious, not judgmental (unattributed quote, not Walt Whitman, by the way).
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
EMAIL US at askus@ leadershipbs.co
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.
Today's Featured Coach - Jeffrey Geier
- Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-770-7701