When Being Heads Down is Not Productive, but Protective with Jeff Geier
May 24, 2023
"I've just got to be heads down on this project to get it done."
Is different than...
"I've just got to keep my head down and do my work."
The difference is not subtle. In the first instance, there's a start and a finish. The implication is when the project is done, they will come up for air and get back to a regular cadence. The second instance has durability. It's a statement about the culture, not a project.
Do you have pain when you go to work? If pain isn't the right word for you, how about; stress, frustration, anxiety, stomach ache, headache, despair, isolation, or no feeling at all, whatsoever. If you have any of these types of discomfort, you get to choose. You get to choose whether the discomfort continues, gets worse, or gets better.
There is no singular answer for how to alleviate the pain, but one way is talking about it with someone. "Someone" is not the person who writes your evaluation, shares your bed, or relies on you in some way. "Someone" is an interested and engaged third-party who provides accountability, reflects what you say so you can hear it, and asks questions to force you into thinking more critically about your circumstances.
Our non-recommendation recommendation is to NOT wait until the breaking point. That's too late, you've already broken. Think about the indicators that you know things aren't going well. Raising your hand and asking for help demonstrates wisdom and self-care FAR beyond trying to force your way through a bad situation that you know will likely only get worse.
The No More Leadership BS team has been there, helped others who have been there, and know there's a bright light at the end of this tunnel that is neither a train nor The Bright Light. Among our experiences and client stories, you will likely find a nugget that you can apply today to help you deal with your situation that may not be as fulfilling as you deserve.
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
. EMAIL US at email@example.com
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.Today's Featured Coach -
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-261-2117