That Moment When a Discussion Turns into a Lowkey Fight with Myra Hall
July 26, 2023
One great comedic tool is surprise. Neither the protagonist nor the audience ever saw it coming which makes the action and the surprise hilarious. One great dramatic tool is also surprise. This is used in soap operas on a regular basis.
But in real life, surprise can really put us in a weird place. When you think you're in a constructive conversation and maybe even a healthy debate then, out of nowhere, the person you're speaking to loses all facial expression, pick up their shield, and draws their sword. "Whoa! Where's this coming from?!?"
We've now moved from topic-oriented conversation to person-oriented debate. Once defensiveness is the tone of the conversation, our thought process moves from debate to block, parry, strike. The involved parties are interested in being right and heard rather than getting to the right answer by any path.
It doesn't have to be this way. A pause. A reflection. A moment away. Effective professionals know when to engage, disengage, and pause as needed to get to the right outcome. But it can require some quick thinking and movement to do so effectively.
We don't always know what will spark someone's defense mechanisms (or even our own) or what will send anyone to the offensive. But we DO know that it happens. We also know there are ways to avoid it. The No More Leadership BS team takes on the topic of difficult conversations that often result from what we think is an innocuous chat.
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
. EMAIL US at email@example.com
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.Today's Featured Coach -
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-261-2117
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248