Intentional Collaboration Does Not Mean Everyone in the Pool
March 1, 2023
"Soft skills, we need people with soft skills, people who can connect and collaborate."
*hires employee with only technical qualifications*
What is it about humans that we generally thrive when working with one another? There's camaraderie, power in numbers, diversity of thought, and... purpose. It's a wonderful experience to bring the right people to a conversation. The team is thriving, work is getting done, and the initiative is advancing toward the goal.
In some cultures, more is better so... We've got a good thing going, let's get more people in on this
Super Boss will be very cranky if they're not involved. No, we all know they won't actively contribute, will miss most of the meetings, and will throw stink bombs in the meetings they do attend, but they need to be at the table.
Good collaboration requires clarity of thought. Who NEEDS to be included to advance the goal? If someone is to be included by virtue of title or disposition, why? If they cannot or will not contribute, do they need to be there?
Being able to identify the needs and then get the right people involved requires soft skills, otherwise and more accurately known as Foundational Skills or Professional Skills. There's nothing soft about telling your boss you don't need them at the next meeting; it requires knowledge of effective communication in a professional setting; sound a little broad, right, it's difficult but necessary.
Join the discussion as No More Leadership BS explores the highs and lows of collaboration and how you can make your next collaborative effort successful.
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
EMAIL US at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.
Today's Featured Coach -
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-261-2117
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248