Leveraging Freelancers to Scale a Bootstrapped Business (MarTech Podcast)
October 13, 2022
In this episode of the MarTech Podcast, I share how to scale a bootstrapped business using external resources. As a startup with a limited budget, getting the best bang for your buck requires some creativity. Cultivate meaningful relationships with freelancers to improve employee churn rates and assure your access to the global talent pool.
- "Instead of having a team of seven full time consultants, have a pool of 15 freelancers behind the scenes that deliver your service, with a couple full-time employees to handle communication with the client." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
- "Freelancers don't necessarily want to jump on calls with you. They simply want the five tasks that they have to do that day they can do without too much hassle and too much bother." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
- "Being a bootstrapped company, sometimes you may want to work with a client if they don't fit perfectly into your productized methodology. Because you want or need the revenue." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
- "We have largely managed to refuse people that don't fit within the thing that we offer. So, we've been able to scale relatively quickly." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
- "You have to build trust. You can't just take work away from a freelancer for no reason, there has to be rules around that so they feel in control." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
- "The most important mindset to develop is that the business' customers are not your only customers. Your job as the leader is to make their lives better. The more you do that, the lower your employee churn." -Tom Hunt, Founder & CEO, Fame
Confessions Of A B2B Marketer is handcrafted by our friends over at: fame.so
Previous guests include: Tim Soulo of Ahrefs, Justin Jackson of Transistor, Sam Dunning of Web Choice, Sam Kuehnle of Refine Labs, Liam Bartholomew of Cognism, Brendan Hufford of Growth Sprints, Justin Rowe of Impactable, Max Altschuler of Outreach and Sales Hacker, Guillaume Moubeche of lemlist, Kieran Flanagan of HubSpot, Sujan Patel of Mailshake and Corey Haines of Swipe Files.
Check out our three most downloaded episodes: