Shifting Perspectives: Separating Individuals from Their Actions in Leadership Assessment With Dr. Sam Jennings II
October 18, 2023
What is a "I-D Ten T" error? When spelled out on paper, it looks a little more like the snarky phrase it is, "ID10T."
So simple. It is incredibly easy to disparage the person as not bright, not hard-working, not informed, or just not "with it." People who see themselves as a boss may find this easier than those who believe they are a leader. Effective leaders have grown skills in this area to not denigrate the person, but to look at the behavior in the context of the situation.
Among the jewels and gems in this episode, here are 3 things to listen for:
1️⃣ Separate the Behavior from the Person
2️⃣ Avoid Making Personal Attacks
3️⃣ Building Trust Takes Time
As you listen to this episode during your workout, chores, or commute, think about ways you can improve your tact with separating the problem from the person. And, when it's safe to do so, let us know in the app or on social media. We can't wait to see your creative approaches!
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
. EMAIL US at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.Today's Featured Coach -
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-261-2117
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248