The Untold Truth: Why Great Workers Struggle in Leadership Roles with Jeff Conroy
November 8, 2023
Some people are born leaders. These are often folks with charisma. Anyone with the drive and interest can learn to be a leader.
It is really easy for an employer to recognize great work for a first-level employee and reward them with a promotion. However, doing so without evaluating that top-performer against the needs of the new position can cause some real friction. Even if that IS done, expecting the newly-minted leader to learn on the fly is not fair to them or their team.
As you think about any hiring, any times you've been promoted, or are presently being considered for a promotion, what is the plan for onboarding into the new role? How will the new leader adjust to the new expectations? How will they learn their way into effectively managing this new position?
While you're joining us on this journey, please consider the following concepts:
1) Promotions are great, but not without a baseline of expectations and quality training
2) Investment in training will have a quick ROI compared to an underperforming leader
3) Professional development is informed by both the employee and employer, action is not optional if effective leadership is the goal.
The No More Leadership BS team truly believes in leadership development over leadership 'happening.' Team and leader development is intentional, specific, and repeatable. In short, engaging new leaders in ways that help them become more effective is a great investment of resources. If someone is to be elevated to a position of new responsibilities without training, they can only fail and that helps precisely no one.
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
. EMAIL US at email@example.com
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.Today's Featured Coach -
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
The rest of the gang:
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-869-4506
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity email@example.com or 208-261-2117
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248