Mental Health is Health
August 10, 2022
Imagine a supervisor is doing their bossy-boss thing, and an employee comes up to them. The employee says, “Sorry I’m late, I had an accident, but I should be good. I just need to take care of some things and I’ll be ready to work.” The supervisor looks up and sees a clearly disheveled person who has a completely observable broken leg. The supervisor can take two courses of action 1) okay, well, feel better soon or, 2) nope, we’re calling 911 right now.
There is no situation where we would expect the employee to go to work. But if the employee comes in and says they’re not doing well, are depressed, or have other non-visual stressors, a supervisor might be less excitable and then choose option 1 from above.
There’s no good reason the brain should not be considered in the realm of “health.” As leaders, helping to support employees as they live their lives, including at work, we should know some things to look for, resources to offer, and setting the tone for the importance of mental health on the individual, the team, and the whole organization.
Have questions, or just a great story to tell about Leadership BS you have experienced? Let us know by emailing us
EMAIL US at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come join our >> Facebook Group
<< where the party lives on and you are part of the discussion.
Much of today's podcast material comes from WBI or Workplacebullying.org. Find out more here
Today's Featured Coach -
- Myra Hall - Individual and Team Coaching, Midlife Mentoring- Helping you identify and overcome the things that keep you from loving your life. - Owner/Founder Waypoint Coaching Group Reach Myra at Myra@WaypointCoachingGrp.com or 765-623-9711
The rest of the gang:
- Jeff Conroy - Organizational and Non-profit Expert, Motivational Speaker, Coach - Executive Leader | Difference Maker for nonprofits in strategic planning, operations, and fundraising and development. Owner/Founder of Conroy Leadership Consulting, LLC. Reach Jeff at jeff@ConroyleadershipConsulting.com or 208-215-6285
- Geoff McLachlan - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach, Bringing Fun Back Into the Workplace, Owner/Founder of Professionals At Play Reach Geoff directly at email@example.com or 509-869-4506
- Dr. Sam Jennings II - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - provides leadership coaching for decision-makers who want to improve workplace culture. 360 Clarity also provides diversity & inclusion, training, keynote speaking, and training workshops, Owner/Founder 360 Clarity firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-770-7701
- Jeffrey Geier - Motivational Speaker, Trainer, and Coach - Helping You Win in Work & Life Owner/Founder of Phoenix Coaching LLC Reach Jeffrey at Jeff@PhoenixCoachingLLC.com or 509-553-9248