Marketing for Hippies CEO Tad Hargrave explains how to employ a business-generating pay-what-you-can strategy in a way that respects all parties involved and actually brings sweetness to the sales process.
Tad Hargrave is a self-described hippie with a knack for marketing. He helps other hippies get more clients in ways that feel good to all involved, and he calls his decision to do pay-what-you-can the best thing he ever did for his business.
Hosts Linda Claire Puig and Ari Iny talk with Tad about what can sound like a radical thing to do: allowing people to decide what they will pay you for your work. Tad shares real-world examples from his own business of what works well with this strategy...and what to avoid.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Tad’s story of a workshop “gone wrong”—and the surprising offer strategy that emerged, earning him thousands in unexpected revenue without any selling at all
- Why you do NOT have to choose between marketing that works and marketing that feels good
- How to tweak and test your offer so that people actually want to pay more for it
- The most common misunderstanding and misapplication of pay-what-you-can (so you don’t dig yourself a financial grave).
- And much more!
“Because they feel respected and not pushed, this natural generosity comes out and people just want to give and want to contribute.” —Tad Hargrave
Tad Hargrave is a hippie who developed a knack for marketing (and then learned to be a hippie again). He is a practitioner and proponent of “ethical marketing for uncertain
times” and helps hippies get more clients in ways that feel good to all involved.
Resources or websites mentioned in this episode:
- Guest: Tad Hargrave
- Hosts: Linda Claire Puig & Ari Iny
- Producer: Linda Claire Puig
- Managing Producer: Cynthia Lamb
- Executive producer: Danny Iny
- Audio Post Supervisor: Evan Miles, Christopher Martin
- Audio Post Production: Post Office Sound
- Music soundscape: Chad Michael Snavely
- Making our hosts sound great: Home Brew Audio
If you don't want to miss future episodes of Blowing Up, please subscribe to Apple podcasts or Spotify or wherever you're listening right now. And if you liked the show, please leave us a starred review. It's the best way to help us get these ideas to more people.
Music and SFX credits:
• Track Title: Sunny Side Up
Artist Name(s): Neon Beach
Writer Name: Aaron Sprinkle
• Track Title: Presence
Artist Name(s): Mikey Geiger
Writer Name: Michael Thomas Geiger
• Track Title: Coo Coos
Artist Name(s): Dresden, The Flamingo
Writer Name: Matthew Wigton
Episode transcript: Pay What You Can (Tad Hargrave) coming soon