Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, Zen priest, author, and poet, joins us for this first part of a two-part conversation.
Zenju was raised in the Church of Christ where she was an avid reader of the Bible and adored the true teachings on Christ’s path well into adulthood. She also participated in ceremony with Ifá diviners from Dahomey, Africa and studied Yoruba. She holds a Ph.D. and formally worked for decades as a social science researcher, development director for non-profit organizations and those serving women and girls, cultural arts, and mental health.
She is the dharma heir of Buddha and the late Zenkei Blanche Hartman in the Shunryu Suzuki Roshi lineage through the San Francisco Zen Center (SFZC). She was Shuso (head Student) with Kiku Christina Lehnherr and her Dharma Transmission was completed by Shosan Victoria Austin. Zenju’s practice is influenced by Native American and African indigenous traditions.
Finally, she is a lover of art, music, indie film, literature, and dance.
Some of the resources and authors we mention in this episode:
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, The Deepest Peace: Contemplations from a Season of Stillness
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, Sanctuary: A Meditation on Home, Homelessness, and Belonging
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, The Way of Tenderness: Awakening through Race, Sexuality, and Gender
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, Tell Me Something about Buddhism: Questions and Answers for the Curious Beginner
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, Be Love: An Exploration of Our Deepest Desire
- Zenju Earthlyn Manuel, Still Breathing
- Charles Johnson, The Words and Wisdom of Charles Johnson
- Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Together We Are One: Honoring Our Diversity, Celebrating Our Connection
- Hilda Gutierez Baldoquin, ed., Dharma Color and Culture: New Voices in Western Buddhism
- Zenshin Florence Caplow, Reigetsu Susan Moon, et al., eds., The Hidden Lamp: Stories from Twenty-Five Centuries of Awakened Women
- Zenkei Blanche Hartman (edited by Zenju Earthlyn Manuel), Seeds for a Boundless Life: Zen Teachings from the Heart
Episode 121: Silence, Ritual, and the Earth: A Conversation with Zenju Earthlyn Manuel (Part One)
Hosted by: Kevin Johnson
With: Carl McColman, Cassidy Hall
Guest: Zenju Earthlyn Manuel
Date Recorded: November 10, 2020