How do we untangle ourselves form the "worry" culture and give our kids enough independence to grow? In this episode, we'll hear from Lenore Skenazy, whose controversial article, "Why I Let My 9-year-old Ride the Subway Alone" opened an important dialogue about the drawbacks of overprotection and created a movement.
Lenore Skenazy is the author of Free Range Kids
and co-founder of the non-profit organization "Let Grow" which promotes healthy independence in childhood through programs, education, & advocacy. She's been featured on NPR, Fox News, and "everything in between" to spread the message of kids' innate resilience. You can learn more about the Let Grow Project HERE
! As your participate, Lenore invites you to share your experience with her directly at email@example.com.
Here is the link to her famous article, "Why I Let My 9-year-old Ride the Subway Alone,"
that spiraled Lenore into the national spotlight and sparked the Free-Range Kids movement.
Compassion Parenting Podcast episode 14: "Nurturing Independence so Kids Can Flourish" © Mary Illions Wilde, MD
To learn more about the Compassion Parenting Membership, go to https://compassionparenting.com
Dr. Mary Wilde is an integrative pediatrician with a special focus on behavioral health and parenting. For additional information, visit drmarywilde.com
To subscribe on iTunes: go to iTunes store→ Music→ podcasts→ type in "Compassion Parenting" in search & click on icon→ click “subscribe” button
To Leave a Podcast Review
Leaving a podcast review at iTunes isn't intuitive. But positive ratings are hugely important: they help the podcast get discovered by new people. Please spend 5 minutes of your time to leave a review using one of the methods below.
How to leave a podcast review using Apple’s Podcast app
- Launch Apple’s Podcast App on your iPhone or iPad.
- Choose “Search” from the bottom row of icons and enter the name of the show (i.e., “Compassion Parenting Podcast”) into the search field
- Select the show under Shows (not under Episodes)
- Scroll down past the first few episodes until you see Ratings & Reviews
- Click “Write a Review” underneath the displayed reviews from other listeners. (Enter your iTunes password to login). You’ll then have the option to rate us on a 5-star scale, and write a review if you choose :)
How to leave a podcast review at iTunes
- Go to the iTunes page of the Compassion Parenting Podcast.
- Click the "View in iTunes" button.
- At iTunes, click the Ratings and Reviews tab.
- You’ll then have the option to rate us on a 5-star scale, and write a review if you choose :)
**When you’ve written a review, tag me or msg me on IG @compassionparenting & I’ll give you a shoutout on my story & a personal TY!
xo, Dr. Mary