Writing a book can help your readers and your business. But is it right for you? Maybe you’ve tried and failed or just gotten stuck. Expert publishing consultant Ally Machate helps aspiring authors realize their dreams and share their expertise through books.
Ally Machate, CEO of The Writer’s Ally, is on a mission to help authors make great books and reach more readers. Publishing a book can help coaches share their expertise, experience and methods with so many more people than they could ever reach one-on-one.
In this episode, Melinda and Ally help listeners sort through the whys and hows of writing a book and provide clarity on the reality of becoming an author.
In this episode we discuss:
- What are reasons a coach should not write a book?
- What are reasons a coach should write a book?
- How can a book benefit your coaching business?
- Overcoming common mindset blockages for writing a book.
- What is the process of writing a book?
- What are signs you are ready to write a book?
- What to do if you have way too much content for one book.
- What is a ghostwriter?
- Should you consider writing a book with others or contributing to an anthology?
- What are the different kinds of books a coach can write?
- Having realistic expectations about writing, publishing and selling a book.
“If you don't have the right mindset going into something, it's going to be just that much harder and more miserable and probably less successful.”
– Ally Machate
Ally Machate is on a mission to help authors make great books and reach more readers. As an author and expert publishing consultant, Ally has served small and “Big Five” publishers, including Simon & Schuster, where she acquired and edited books on staff. Her clients include authors with such companies as Simon & Schuster, Penguin Random House, Rodale Inc., Chronicle Books, Kaplan Publishing, Sourcebooks, and Hay House, as well as independently published bestsellers. Ally leads a diversified team of professionals who specialize in helping serious authors to write, publish, and sell more high-quality books.
Resources or websites mentioned in this episode:
- Coaches Console
- Ally’s website
- Ally’s LinkedIn
- Guest: Ally Machate
- Host: Melinda Cohan
- Producer: Cynthia Lamb
- Executive producer: Danny Iny
- Scripted and assembled by: Michi Lantz
- Audio Post Supervisor: Evan Miles, Christopher Martin
- Audio Post Production: Post Office Sound
- Music soundscape: Chad Michael Snavely
- Making our hosts sound great: Home Brew Audio
If you don't want to miss future episodes of Just Between Coaches, please subscribe to Apple podcasts or Spotify or wherever you're listening right now. And if you liked the show, please leave us a starred review. It's the best way to help us get these ideas to more people.
• Music and SFX credits:
•Track Title: Clouds
Artist Name(s): Acreage
Writer Name: Marshall Usinger
•Track Title: Coastline Dream
Artist Name(s): Wild Sky
Writer Name: Adam Simons
•Track Title: Coo Coos
Artist Name(s): Dresden, The Flamingo
Writer Name: Matthew Wigton
•Track Title: Stars & Trees
Artist Name(s): Outside The Sky
Writer Name: Dustin Ransom
- Episode transcript: Should You Write a Book? (Ally Machate) Coming soon.