This podcast is for you if you are managing day to day client relationships in a creative agency. The aim of the podcast is to share insights and tips to help you add more value to the client's business, strengthen your relationships with your clients, develop your skills in account management and grow your agency's business.
How to avoid stress and burnout in an agency environment
October 23, 2020 • 42 MIN
Louisa has a powerful message for you if you are working in an agency.
She successfully built and sold her healthcare communications agency Woolley Pau in 2012 but her health suffered as a result and she ended up hospitalised.
In this episode she shares her journey and provides advice and guidance for others who may be inadvertently heading in the same direction.
In this episode she shares with us:
* The 10 signs you may be heading for burnout without realising it
* Why trying to be the 'hero' at work can have a detrimental affect on you, your health and those around you
* What resilience is and why it's not just about 'bouncing back'
* The difference between healthy and unhealthy stress and how to spot the tipping point
* Why stress goes undetected until it's too late
* Where to seek support if you think your health is suffering as a result of pressure, challenge and stress
* The first few steps you can take right now if you think this may be affecting you
* What she is doing now in her new business Otherboard to help those in agencies to prepare for, recover from and adapt in the face of stress or challenge
I think this topic isn't discussed enough in agencies, environments that tend to operate at a hundred miles an hour most of the time. Louisa provides some sage advice and guidance having trodden the path and who now dedicates her time to helping others .
If you recognise yourself in what Louisa was describing I would urge you to seek help by contacting Louisa to discuss your situation.
Secrets of highly effective agency leaders
October 14, 2020 • 46 MIN
In this episode I'm delighted to have as my guest Spencer Gallagher who took time out of working on the second edition of his best selling book, Agencynomics, which he co-wrote with his partner Peter Hoole, to share his thoughts on agency leadership and client management.
Having built and sold his own agency in 2008, he now runs the UK's leading growth consultancy for agency owners, Cact.us and is co-founder of the Cact.us Academy, a training portal for agency owners.
He also heads up the not for profit global community of agency owners, also called Agencynomics and co-hosts the vodcast Agencyphonics where he interviews owners and thought leaders about growing an agency business.
In this episode we cover everything from what he thinks is most important when leading an agency and how he approaches agency growth, to the biggest agency trends he's seeing and how to stay up to date and relevant in this time of digital transformation.
* Key habits of highly effective agency leaders
* What successful agency leaders are doing now to accelerate their agency's growth
* What Spencer would do differently if he was starting an agency again
* Key trends in the agency landscape
* Why you need to keep learning to keep yourself relevant
* Why agencies need to start thinking beyond social media and websites to supporting clients with their digital transformation..
...and lots more nuggets you'll want to hear if you're an owner, leader or account manager.
The fundamentals of successful client management
October 6, 2020 • 48 MIN
Today's episode is with the founders of Relationship Audits and Management, Carey Evans and Simon Rhind-Tutt.
They are invited in by creative agency leaders and client services directors to assess the strength of their client relationships and provide recommendations and guidance for how to retain and grow the accounts.
In this episode they share tip after tip from years of experience talking to agency clients about what they want most from their agencies.
They remind us of many of the fundamental principles of account management having spoken to hundreds of clients and having built up years of benchmarking data from client interviews about what works and doesn't work when it comes to successful agency client relationships.
In this episode you'll hear:
* Why becoming the go to person within your agency for a chosen topic can accelerate your career
* The winning agency formula for any pitch
* What clients say 64% of agencies never do but should
* How you can make your client's life easier
* The average % time clients have to spend of their day liaising with all their agencies
* How to create instant rapport with your client
* A method we can borrow from professional services firms for how to get to know your client's business quickly
* Five of the biggest trends they are seeing about what clients want most from their agencies right now.....
....and lots more valuable tips and reminders for how to make sure you excel in your account management role.
How to be more productive
September 17, 2020 • 16 MIN
Do you often feel overwhelmed by how much you have to do?
This is a short quick fire episode where I answer a question I hear most frequently from creative agency account managers.
The subject of productivity, time management and general overwhelm with number of tasks needed to be completed comes up a lot.
Often being stuck managing the day to day firefighting distracts us from doing the things that are more valuable like thinking about ways of adding more value to the client’s business, looking at trends, working on client relationship expansion, client development planning etc.
So here are 10 tips (plus an extra bonus one I added!) for ensuring you get as much of your Day to day workload completed as possible so it frees up space to do more thinking and planning.
Account managers who want promotion to account director realise the only way they can work on more strategic tasks (client development plans, solving client business & communications challenges) is to be more time efficient.
Let me know if these tips have been helpful and please share any others you’ve found beneficial so I can share with everyone else.
How to have a successful career in agency account management
September 10, 2020 • 52 MIN
Phil Lancaster has worked his entire career in agency account management.
He's worked for some of the most successful agency holding companies such as The Lowe Group and WPP where he lead global account management teams and held the role of Global Business Director for brands such as Jaguar Land Rover, Reckitt Benckiser, Bayer and Bank of America.
He has a wealth of experience working with clients at the board level and believes strongly that agency account managers need to have a relationship with the C-Suite in a client company.
Other points we discuss are:
* The value of the role of account management for both agencies and client (this has been debated recently in an IPA report)
* One of the most important ways an agency account manager can save the client money
* How account managers can position themselves as trusted advisors rather than order takers
* Where agency account managers get client management wrong
* Why C-Suite relationship building is essential
* Advice for agency account managers to strengthen relationships amidst current remote working conditions
* Phil's thoughts on how the agency landscape is changing and the future of the role of agency account management
* Phil's top advice for you if you are starting out in your career in account management.....
.....and lots more nuggets of wisdom and reflection from years of experience so this is one not to miss.
How to sell to existing and prospective clients
September 1, 2020 • 55 MIN
Marcus Cauchi is probably one of the most well known salesman and sales trainers in the UK.
I was fortunate enough to be trained by Marcus in the Sandler selling methodology and meeting him changed the course of my career as I suddenly realised selling skills could have been hugely beneficial when I started out in advertising in the 1990s.
In this episode, Marcus shares with us:
* What agencies need to do to win new business
* The metrics he uses to evaluate a new business team's effectiveness
* Why asking questions to gather information is a waste of yours and your client's time
* How agencies can manage the handover from their new business to account management team
* How understanding human psychology can aid us in selling
* The most overlooked area of account expansion agencies miss
* The three myths agencies have bought into about selling....
....and so many more nuggets of selling wisdom, you'll want to grab and pen and make some notes.
Why you need a relationship with marketing procurement
August 24, 2020 • 46 MIN
In this episode, Tina Fegent, marketing procurement consultant with almost 30 years experience shares tips for what procurement want from agencies and specifically agency account management.
Tina has worked both client side for companies such as Orange and agency side in the role of Commercial Director so really understands what works and doesn't work when it comes to creating and developing relationships with the procurement team.
In this episode Tina shares;
- The most common complaint she hears from clients about agency account management
- What great account management looks like for her
- Why developing relationships with procurement is good for agency business
- Ideas you can try right now for how to engage with procurement
- What to avoid when pitching
- What management consultancies are doing really well that agencies should be doing more of....
....and lots more!
So grab a pen and get ready to take some notes because she shares some golden nuggets of wisdom for you.
What your agency clients really want
August 12, 2020 • 36 MIN
In my first episode I'm delighted to be chatting to Kate Whittaker, Head of Corporate Communications at DUAL International.
As a marketing client, Kate Whittaker has 30 years experience managing agency relationships so is very well placed to give her perspective on what agency account managers could be doing to win their clients over.
In this episode we cover:
1. How Kate selects her agencies and what she suggests you do if you're considering cold calling prospective clients
2. The qualities she looks for in a potential agency partner
3. Examples of where agency account managers have won her over and built her trust as well as where agencies get client management wrong
4. Some advice for how agencies can present additional ideas during the course of working on another project
5. Why you need to be asking your clients for more referrals
6. Her tips for how to position yourself as more of a trusted advisor
7. What's changed for her in light of COVID-19 and what she'd be interested in hearing from agencies right now
8. Some great tips for how to maintain and develop strong client relationships during this time of remote working
I hope you enjoy this episode. It's packed full of nuggets to help agency account managers with client retention and growth.
The sound isn't optimal and my interviewing skills need some work but I do hope you come away with some actionable tips you can put into practice in your agency account management role.
If you'd like more information about how you can retain and grow existing client relationships, you'll find information about the latest training for agency account managers here: https://bit.ly/accountaccelerator.
If you're an agency leader with three employees or more and haven't already joined the Agencynomics free community, here's a link to join: https://community.agencynomics.com/.
If you enjoyed this episode, I'd love your support by leaving a review and also drop me a line at email@example.com if you know someone in a client role who would like to be interviewed and can share some great advice for helping agency account managers with their role.